The NW contingent of the Power Riders met up in Castle Rock for a scenic ride into the Mt. St. Helen's blast zone.

Unaware of the many dangers we would face, we soon discovered our first challenge would be trying to get past an angry Bigfoot!


Fortunately we had enough tokens left to neutralize him with the armored vehicle.

Our next stop was to inspect the sediment dam that was built to re-route the Toutle River from where the blast had changed it's course.

Looks like it's still good.

Doug is a little concerned as he approaches the bikes.

It's obvious that Bigfoot has recovered and was messing with his helmet

A couple small adjustments and it good to go.

Okay, enough of the silliness.

A result of the blast was a thirty foot deep deposit of ash, rocks and debris in the Toutle River valley.

The amount of material was enough to build a roadway 1' deep from NY to San Francisco.

I'm still curious as to whether or not you can drive on it or not. I wasn't curious enough to actually find out.

One of the bridges that had to be replaced.





I'm familiar with pine cones

I can't say that I am with Spruce cones

Our first view of the mountain. Just a couple of miles back it was completely hidden by clouds, but they are moving out of the area.

The Toutle River flows right out of the crater.

It is fed by a newly formed glacier that surrounds the dome that is growing inside of the crater.

It has already cut a new path through all of the ash deposit

I wanted to take a helicopter ride into the crater but they said if I wanted to do that I would have to fly it myself, so I did.

A few shots of Doug riding towards the mountain.



There is still a lot of recovery to be done around the mountain.



Spirit Lake is forever changed.

Mt. Adams peeking over the hill.

Comparing my belly to the new mound growing inside the crater.

Doug turned 44 yesterday, yeah right, but that's what he told me.

He has no belly for comparison



I hope I never blow my top!

After the original eruption, there was no mound inside of the crater, but it started growing right after the eruption and continues to this day. It has grown over 1300' so far.

A lot of people up here for a Monday

Pretty little flower


The blast toppled trees for miles and miles

Some just broke off.



Over 100 cars in the parking lot.

The food truck was doing a booming business.

We had our thoughts on Mexican food.




The Toutle River


A lot foxglove in bloom today

I've been told I ride with some shady characters, I guess they are right. lol

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog