What does JJJ mean, jump jump jump?

The Washougal River is a major spawning river for both salmon and steelhead.

I can't believe anyone would want to jump or dive into three feet of water from a height of 50'

I also can't believe anyone would want to climb down those stairs just to sit a little closer to the water.

.
This must be a rain cover shed for kids to stay dry while waiting for the school bus

Literally millions of salmon fry waiting to be clipped before being returned to the river to make their way back to the ocean.

I didn't see the sign that said I could ride back here.

However, one of the fin clipping crew politely let me know I had to park elsewhere and walk back.

All of the raised salmon are clipped and when fishing, you are allowed to keep and eat those. All of the unclipped native fish must be released.

They clip and count 85,000 of these every day

At a certain time of the year, they are released into the rivers to travel to the ocean for 4 years before returning back to spawn.


Five miles down the road is another hatchery that raises steelhead trout. I wasn't able to get a great picture of them, but if you squint, put on your polaroid's, you might be able to make one or two out.


Elevated view of the steelhead hatchery

The guy at the first hatchery was giving me directions to the second hatchery and told me if I saw the Confederate flag I had gone too far.

When I was a kid, riding through Camas, WA would literally cause you to gagl

Today, my worn out sniffer can barely detect an odor from the paper mill.

This was the entrance to my grandpa's farm when I was a child.

After he passed, it was developed into small acreages with million dollar plus homes on it.

A half mile down the road is the Hockenson Market.

I remember walking there with my father and sisters and a pocket full of coins grandpa would give us from a coffee can he kept his change in.

This very nice 56 Chevy El Camino was sitting across the street.

Don't tell me they didn't make them.

I have the pictures to prove it. lol

I found a picture of me getting weighed in this store when I was five years old back in 1954.

Here I am getting weighed on that same scale 68 years later. Still only cost a penny.


When I was leaving the market this old guy pulled up on this 1954 BMW with side car.

The side car was added later

That's the original paint, and the original miles are only 20,000

I pulled in here to take a picture of a landmark I used to use to find my grandfathers farm, and saw this nice 57 Chevy hardtop.

On this location the Y tavern used to stand as my land mark to turn north. No longer.

We ate this afternoon at this food court. The girls said their lamb over rice was great. I had no room left for food after eating at the Hockenson Market.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog